Monday, January 21, 2013

Weekend Off :)


So I had the entire weekend off. It’s the only weekend I’m not on call while I’m here (I did have last Sunday mostly off except for rounding). Saturday was glorious. Up until last Tuesday the weather had been beautiful: Sunny, not humid, and in the 70-80’s during the day. Tuesday it was gray, overcast, cold and rained off and on through out the day. That continued Wednesday, thurdays, Friday morning and finally around noon the sun came out and stayed out the entire weekend. I slept in Saturday morning, and lounged around the house in my PJ’s until noon for the first time since early to mid November ! Then since everyone except the Kenyan doctor was off, we all went on a picnic down to the river for lunch. Both Jones families, myself, Mim (a medical student for Buffallo who arrived last Monday), and Ces. When we got down to the river there were a bunch of Kenyans washing their cloths and cows out grazing. We drove on an off round path around a small hill and found an isolated place to hang out. They turned the music on and had it blaring from the SUV speakers as we set up a picnic on the hillside in the glorious sun. But before long we saw a host of dark faces standing at the top of the hill looking down at us. It’s so crazy. We weren’t even doing anything that exciting. Eating, talking and relaxing. But some how we managed to have an audience for a very long time. Adults and kids alike. Sonya (Aaron Jones’ wife) joked that they found it entertaining and strange that we were at the river and not washing clothes. I don’t notice people staring as much anymore since it’s so common every time I go overseas. But I do always feel bad for and send up a prayer for the movie stars who can never get a moment of peace when they go out in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment